Dental hygiene visit (more than “just a cleaning!”)
What happens when I see the hygienist? That visit is much more than “just a cleaning!” Here is a sample of the benefits of spending time with Laura or Pam.
- Oral Cancer Screening (did you know that 3% of all cancers are oral cancer? In any cancer, early detection is crucial to successful treatment.)
- Update your medical history. Some medications and conditions do affect your oral health!
- Periodontal charting. This helps tell us the health of the jaw bone supporting the teeth.
- Evaluation of the restorations (fillings, crowns, bridges) in your mouth. Are there any urgent or long-term problems? We can now use laser diagnosis to tell if some area need filling or not.
- Discussion of cosmetic concerns you may have. This is a great time to explore enhancing your smile!
- Home care instruction. How can you keep your teeth as healthy as possible? The hygienist is your coach in showing you how to care for your own mouth. As one dentist told us, “if you keep your teeth as clean as you keep your silverware, you won’t need us as much!”
- Dietary advice. You would be amazed at what people don’t know about how what they eat affects their teeth.
- Fluoride treatments to strengthen teeth and prevent decay.
- Taking any necessary x-rays to diagnose hidden problems.
- Applying any needed sealants to young teeth to prevent decay.
- Oh yes, they also clean, polish, and floss your teeth! This visit, an oral prophylaxis, is mostly to prevent periodontal disease as well as brighten your smile. If periodontal disease is diagnosed, other forms of treatment are needed.
See why this visit is so necessary to keeping your mouth healthy? It is so much more than “just a cleaning!!”
Dental Library: Oral Hygiene
Featured Article on Oral Hygiene – View all
Oral Hygiene – Dental Health for Life
The best tools for maintaining your oral health and minimizing dental problems are a quality toothbrush, toothpaste, a roll of dental floss, approved mouthwash and good diet. Unfortunately, myths and folklore abound on how and what to use to best effect. This article cuts through the confusion with a winning game plan for oral health… Read Article