The importance of non-mercury fillings
- Posted on: Apr 15 2020
In the past, many dental offices in the area of Clyde, NC and beyond used a material called “silver amalgam” to place fillings when cavities occurred. However, with continued studies showing the danger of these fillings, it is important for patients to work with a dentist who avoids these materials and instead uses non-mercury alternatives. Dr. John Highsmith and his team are here to assist patients in finding restorative solutions that are safe and appropriate for their smiles.
What is a non-mercury filling?
Silver amalgam fillings are comprised of approximately 50% mercury. This material is harmful to the human body, and should never be used to restore a natural tooth. Instead, Dr. John Highsmith provides patients with an alternative called composite resin. This material can provide the benefits of a filling while also being safe for the smile. Our practice avoids silver amalgam fillings and instead offers composite resin fillings.
Why are non-mercury fillings important?
A non-mercury filling is important for several reasons:
- Composite resin fillings are not made with harmful substances such as mercury
- Composite resin fillings do not contract and expand as silver amalgam fillings do, reducing the risk of harmful bacteria getting into the tooth and causing an infection
- Composite resin fillings are made to match the natural tooth enamel, ensuring a seamless look to the natural teeth
- Composite resin fillings are placed during a single appointment
- Composite resin can also be used as dental bonding to address other dental imperfections
Who is a candidate for non-mercury fillings?
Our team of professionals find that all patients can benefit from these resin fillings and enjoy the many benefits they provide. However, patients with very large cavities may need alternative treatments such as root canal therapy or the placement of a dental crown. Patients are urged to schedule a consultation visit with Dr. John Highsmith to discuss their current dental situation and speak to a professional about the options available to them for repair, both cosmetically and for functionality.
Call Dr. John Highsmith today
Schedule an appointment with our team by calling (828) 627-9282 and scheduling an appointment at 78 Nelson Street.
Posted in: Dental Fillings